Cow Hill - 08/11/04

This morning, my erstwhile companion of Orkney days (September) took herself off and away to Glencoe. To my surprise. Even more so when she told me that initially it had been her intention to climb the Ben. OK, go with the wind, that's the spirit of the true traveller. I wished her well.

I whisked myself off to downtown Fort William for the Monday shopping. Found some very useful mending tape for a tear in my waterproofs. Should teach me to sit on sharp rocks. It's the second that's happened. At around midday, I tootled off to Cow Hill, because the weather today is absolutely brilliant. In comparison to previous days, that is. The sun is out and it is not too bad. Just some wisps of cloud around the highest slopes of Ben Nevis and some fishhook cirrus at the 30,000 ft mark. As time wore on, the wisps of cloud at 4,000 ft sank to about 3,000 and thickened to a typical cumulostratus layer with holes. On arrival on Cow Hill, 287 m, I had a fantastic view all around. Saw far up Glen Albyn (the Great Glen). It presented an image that I always associate with the Misty Mountains in Tolkien's books. Row upon row of valley marching away in the far distance. Could clearly see Corpach and Caol, Inverlochy and a bird's eye view of Fort William. Cow Hill stands literally on the doorstep of the town. To the south, Loch Linnhe stretched away; Loch Eil was partially obscured by the Ardgour hills on the other side of the water. Magnificent. Slowly trudged down the hill and turned left to go down into Glen Nevis. Took my bonny time doing it, although the descent into the Glen was viciously steep. Mind your step! Returned to the hostel as night fell, having made some detours up the forestry roads. Hostel is very quiet as yet. Over the weekend it was quite full. On Saturday evening, people had to be turned away. To be fair, several rooms are out of use because the bunkbeds need to be replaced.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Original comments from Peguera1
It is amazing what a bit of sunshine will do for one... I am glad today was better for you. The view you describe sounds stupendous.
Comment from peguera1 - 09/11/04 18:55

And do you get any opportunity to catch up with what is going on in the world Pharm? it would be reasonable at this point in the year to wonder if one wanted to.... War, Arafat's impending demise, Reading's railcrash tragedy and the spattering of the usual suspects on the news must seem a million miles away from where you are. I hope there are people sufficiently pleasant to become acquaintanced with during your hostel stays.
Comment from peguera1 - 09/11/04 18:59